Friday 27 July 2012

Day 11 - off to the Cabot Trail

July 24

Halifax day 4

My alarm went off.

8 am was the time.

I was awake.  Barely.  I was able to find my pants, but my head was nowhere to be seen.  It was just as well.  If I did find it, the pain in it would no doubt kill me on the spot.

My cell phone rang.  Who would be calling me at this hour?

It was Steve.  He was staying at the HI hostel on the Cabot Trail, called the Bear on the Woods.  He said it was about to sell out, and asked if I wanted him to get them to hold a room for me.  I agreed (yes I would be leaving today).  We said our goodbye.  Despite my killer hangover, I felt happy.  It would be good to reaquaint with Steve again.

I packed my bags, and wandered downstairs for breakfast.  Thank God I had a role and a banana and apple left over from a previous meal.  And I especially thanked God for the fresh coffee!

To get my brain in gear, I decided to catch up on some emails.  I hoped that Ashley and Camilla would show, as I wanted to say good-bye before I left.

Eventually they did show, and we talked for several minutes.  Then it was goodbye.

Soon I was off for the Cabot Trail.

Except today the weather looked ominous.  There were alot of dark clouds, and it was starting to spit rain.

I decided to leave anyways.

But before leaving I rode up to Citadel Hill for a look over Halifax and to snap some shots. 
The rain was light, so was not bothersome. While parked, a man parked next to me and asked me where in Saskatchewan I was from.

When I told him Regina, he smiled and said he had just gotten back from there.  He was a pipe fitter and had worked there for 9 months.  Like many easterners, he had found opportunity in my grand province.

I snapped a few photos, then was off for the Cabot Trail.

I left Halifax feeling very happy to have visited here.  It was everything I wished for (well except the hangover!) and more.

North I went on highway 102.

However within a half an hour the rains came. 

At first it was a steady rain.  But by time I reached Truro, 100 km's from Halifax, the storm was an absolute wrath of God downpoor!

I took refuge under a canopy at a gas bar in Truro. There was a Tim's across the lot, so I made a bee line for it.

This one had free WIFI.  Seeing WIFI at Tim's was extremely unusual, but I took advantage of the crappy weather and worked on my blog of the trip.

I was soaked.  Holie cow, was I wet. I could not have gotten more wet if you threw me into the swimming pool.  It was going to be a long day or riding.

After over an hour and a half of waiting, the rains had let up a bit, but not much.  It was getting on in the day, and I wanted to make the hostel tonight.

So back on the road I went.

Eventually the rains let up.  In fact they eventually became a light drizzle.

I arrived at the Bear of the Lake hostel, tired, but happy to have arrived.

The hostel was a complete surprise to me.  This is because it is a converted cottage.
The hostel is 2 km's outside of the town of Aberdeen.  Out in the middle of nowhere and several yards from the highway, it was like being at your cottage at the lake. 

I was greeted at the door by Heinrich, a friendly German lad who worked there.  His kind demeanor was equally matched by his kind offer to help me carry in my wet gear.  I was only here a few minutes and felt like I was the member of a family.

Steve greeted me with a friendly hello.  He said, "I bet you're hungry".  Well that was an understatement.  I said, "yes, I sure am".  "How would you like some of the Indian food I cooked up?" he said. Warm Indian food.  The words were music to my ears.  After a quick change into dry clothes (they were packed into plastic bags inside my T-bags), I had a quick shower and sat down to eat.  I devoured the meal in minutes.

I spent the next little bit catching up with Steve and also meeting my new hostel mates.  I spoke for several minutes with Sam, a Montrealer who was fascinated by the happenings in Saskatchewan.  He is an International Studies student with a keen interest in Canada and it's economy.  We exchanged several ideas on the state of the Canadian economy and where things were going.  Despite my fatigue, I was enjoying the evening.

Soon it was time for bed.  This time I had the bottom bunk.  I was thankful, because the only way you would get me to the top bunk would be to haul me up!

Within moments of my head hitting the pillow, I was asleep.  I would sleep tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home