Wednesday 25 July 2012

Day 8 - HALIFAX!!!

Day 8 - July 21

Today I would ride the last 840 km's to Halifax.  I was bound and determined to make it
today.  I was already a day late!

The ride to Halifax through New Brunswich and Nova Scotia was very quiet.  The highways
were twinned, and the speed limit was 110!  And I had very little traffic to deal with.

I arrived in Halifax just before 9pm.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the HI hostel in Halifax had a parking garage,
and that there was a space available for my bike.  And at only 8 bucks a day an absolute
steal! The hostel was in downtown Halifax, a two minute walk from the harbour.

After parking the bike, I noticed a motorcycle in the stall next to me. It had Maryland
plates on it.  I wasn't the only one doing a long distance trip!

After unloading the bike, I returned to the front desk, where I met my motorcycle
neighbour.  His introduced himself as Steve.

Steve is from Baltimore, Maryland, and is in the Maritimes on a bike trip.

We got talking and hit it off right away.  We spoke about bike trips and about who each of
us are and life in general. I found Steve easy going.  He was very down to Earth and easy
to talk to.

We then headed down to the end of the block to Bearley's, a blues bar.

There was a live band playing.  These guys were awesome!  Judging by their appearance,
these guys were anywhere between 50 and 150 years old.  They sounded like they had been
playing together for years.

After an evening of great music, we decided to call it a night. It was after 1am.  I had
been up since 5:30 and was ready for bed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home